Nestled within the lush forests of Southeast Asia, Apitong, also known as keruing, emerges as a wood species that captivates with its exceptional qualities. This remarkable hardwood stands as a testament to nature’s ingenuity, boasting a combination of strength, resilience, and versatility that elevates it to a prominent position in the world of wood selection.
From its origins to its outstanding features, Apitong has become a preferred choice across various industries, ranging from construction to fine furniture and trailer flooring. This blog post talks about the ten factors that distinguish Apitong as an outstanding wood selection.
- Unmatched Durability: Apitong surpasses even red oak in density by 20%, endowing it with unparalleled stiffness and strength. This remarkable quality ensures the long-lasting durability of Apitong lumber. Infused with oleoresin, it boasts resistance to fungi, termites, and decay, guaranteeing its ability to withstand heavy loads, ultimately saving you substantial repair costs.
- Ease of Craftsmanship: Despite its reputation for hardness and stiffness, Apitong is surprisingly easy to work with, whether by hand or machine. Its workability rivals that of oak, allowing for effortless cutting, sanding, and finishing, making it an exceptional choice for woodworking projects.
- Versatility: Apitong’s versatility shines through as it proves suitable for a wide range of applications, including furniture crafting, the transportation of heavy machinery, deck construction, and more. For those embarking on woodworking projects, premium exotic wood dealers in Toronto offer an array of Apitong options.
- Sustainability: Sourced from managed forests in Southeast Asian countries such as Indonesia, the Philippines, and Malaysia, Apitong wood is harvested with a commitment to sustainability and minimal environmental impact. This practice ensures a consistent supply of high-quality Apitong to regions worldwide, including premium exotic wood dealers in Toronto. Remarkably, Apitong trees grow at twice the rate of North American oak trees.
- Stability: Apitong’s straight and interlocking grain structure enables nails and screws to secure firmly. Its resistance to denting makes it an excellent choice for outdoor projects requiring extensive nailing, such as park benches and picket fences.
- Cost-Effective: Apitong’s sustainable nature makes it a cost-effective choice compared to other hardwood species. Its durability further translates into less frequent replacement, resulting in a longer lifespan than other wood alternatives.
- Unyielding Strength: Apitong hardwood boasts an impressive strength-to-weight ratio, with an average Janka hardness of 1390, rendering it resistant to marking and denting. Additionally, Apitong wood exhibits a strength of 19,000 psi and a stiffness of 2.07 million psi, making it resistant to bending.
- Chemical and Rot Resistance: Processed and dried Apitong wood retains minimal moisture, reducing susceptibility to fungal growth and rot. Its resistance to chemicals makes it ideal for industrial flooring applications.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Apitong’s natural beauty shines through with its red-brown hue and subtle purple undertones. Its matte finish provides low luster, ensuring a non-slip surface even during wet seasons. Natural pores readily accept oils, paints, and stains, enhancing both its beauty and durability.
- Pressure-Resistance: When compared to oak, Apitong is 13% harder and 26% stronger, making it exceptionally pressure-resistant and perfect for trailers and truck beds.
Apitong has emerged as a superior choice in the North American trailer flooring market, thanks to its workability, high density, low moisture content, and affordability when compared to other wood alternatives. Its versatility extends to applications like park benches, furniture frames, picket fences, and various woodworking projects requiring stability. For the finest Apitong wood, trust Tropical Forest Products, your premium exotic wood dealer in Toronto, committed to providing sustainable lumber for your needs. We’re passionate about providing our customers with a variety of exotic and domestic wood species, including premium architectural-grade lumber and lower grades suitable for everyday projects.
Furthermore, Tropical Forest Products is a proud member of FSC® (Forest Stewardship Council®), a global network dedicated to promoting responsible forestry. The products we carry proudly bear the “Tick Tree” logo, signifying our commitment to sustainable and responsible sourcing. By choosing FSC-certified wood from Tropical Forest Products, you are making a significant contribution towards protecting the world’s forests. On top of that, you are sending a powerful message to the industry, showing that sustainability is a top priority for you and your business and that we can all make a difference in safeguarding the health and diversity of our planet’s forests.